Sunday, November 9, 2008

My Favorite Season

I look forward to fall every single year. Fall, to me, is the best season of all. Maybe its due to the oppressive Houston humidity and heat in the summer or maybe its the coming of all things pumpkin, but Autumn is my absolute season. I think, however, my sentiments for fall are deeper than an escape from heat or a chance to drink a Pumpkin Spice Latte. I believe that my love for the fall is something spiritual. You see, fall symbolizes change. It is symbolic of a time to retreat inside and prepare for the cold (unless you live in Southeast Texas) ahead. Nichole Nordeman puts is like this:

"And even when the trees have just surrendered
To the harvest time
Forfeiting their leaves in late September
And sending us inside
Still I notice You when change begins
And I am braced for colder winds
I will offer thanks for what has been and was to come
You are autumn."

When I read these lyrics I can't help but get choked up. Autumn is a time for reflection and thanksgiving. Its a time to turn our thoughts inward and refocus.

This fall has been no exception. In fact, I would say this fall has been the absolute toughest I have ever encountered. I would also venture to say that if you are alive and breathing, you might be able to say the same thing. September was still a new month when Ike barreled its way into Texas. Millions of people were affected. Homes were lost and suffering abounded. A few weeks later we watched as stock markets began to plummet. Fortunes and jobs were lost...and suffering abounded. We've seen wildfires begin again and have witnessed other disasters and hardships this fall. I don't think there is a person in this country or in the world who can't say they haven't been hit hard this fall.

Even history teaches us that the fall is a hard time. In 1857 the fall brought America a stock market panic. In 1929, Wall Street crashed and the Great Depression arrived. A more recent event, September 11th, 2001 the world watched as terrorists killed 2000 men, women, and children on American soil. In 2005, on the eve of the beginning of fall, Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans. This hurricane was followed by Rita. Autumn has not been kind, but autumn has brought change and growth.

One could sit back and bemoan the horrible things that happen in the fall, but I have good news...God has brought some good things to us in the fall. In 1857 a revival began in response to the falling stock market. This revival reached worldwide and began what would be known as the second great awakening in America. Out of the Great Depression, a nation emerged stronger. We would not break free of the economic crisis till World War 2 brought us out of that. We managed, however to grow as a nation and become stronger because of what we had been through. The tragedies of Sept 11th, Katrina, and Rita brought out the best in us as humans. I witnessed men and women working together to rebuild, restore, and renew. People flocked to church and hearts were turned back to Jesus.

I would also like to touch on my personal experience with this fall. I have encountered some harsh blows over the last six or so months. Most of this due to my lacking relationship with Jesus. I, at one time, had a dynamic and intimate relationship with God, but over the last few years I let monotony and distraction pull me away from Him. On September 6th, 2008 I left the prairie of Katy for the mountains of Colorado. It was there that God called to me again. He broke me, cut the distractions out, and met me at the point of my need. I not only drew closer to Him, but I had an encounter with God that will NEVER allow me to go back to what I had been. Its hard to explain, but what I can say is that I saw God. I left the mountains and came back to my life with high expectations for the changes to come. Of course, God had different plans. I thought my life would be worked out with a simple snap of the fingers, but God wasn't through growing me. Over the last few months I have had to face the man in the mirror. What I saw was a failed leader, an impatient, critical, cynical man. I can say though, that God is working in those areas of my life as well. If I could say I was impatient before my trip to Colorado I would have to say that I am far from it now. That's not me being proud that I did anything, no its not me, its God who has done a work in me. In addition to all this I have had the opportunity to grow through meeting and praying with Godly men. Iron sharpening iron...nothing better. I love the accountability that comes from meeting and praying with Godly men (or for you ladies Godly women) and I definitely now see the importance of it. This is how THE CHURCH started. We are the Body of Christ and we need to work together to help each other out. Through this I find myself laughing at things now that would have driven me insane in the past. Being critical and/or cynical are a thing of the past. I choose to embrace the joy that comes from knowing Jesus. On my failed leadership, well all I can say there is that I have to be patient. I will, some day, be able to prove myself once again to be a good leader. I know what God has done in me and He knows what I am capable of. Praise the Lord for changed lives.

I love the fall. This fall, in particular, has enabled me to retreat inside. I have been able to refocus my relationship with my Savior. God has reconciled me back to Himself. I can't help but weep when I see what He has done in my life. I can't say enough how thankful I am that He changed me. I can't say enough how thankful I am this fall. While my life still has things to be worked out, this may just be the best Thanksgiving of my life. I have a ton to be thankful of and it is because of what God did and continues to do in my life.

Let me encourage all those who read this, to take advantage of this time. Don't wait. Circle the wagons and retreat inside. Refocus your life. If you are a Christian, then reconcile with God. Don't hesitate. If you don't know Jesus as your savior, then take time this very minute and give your heart and your life to the only One who is worthy. Take time this fall to be thankful for what has been and what is to come...it is autumn.

Oh, and I want you all to know that I am also thankful for the Pumpkin Spice Latte.

No comments: