Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Praying for the Extraordinary

Well, I wanted to follow up the prayer request I submitted a few days ago. I have officially put my name on the cancellation list. I definitely felt God calling me to step out of my comfort zone and to get my name on that list…never mind the usual hang-ups (ex. finances, time, work, busyness, fear, etc…). If it is God’s will for me to actually go to South Africa then a few things will happen: 1) A spot will open up for me, 2) The finances will not be an issue, 3) There will be a peace about it, and 4) Getting off that amount of time from work will not be a problem. I trust in His plan and know that if I lean on Him, not as a crutch, but as my sustainer then I will be just fine.

There is a possibility that a spot may not even open and that God’s will may not be for me to go, but I have come to realize that sometimes He just wants to know if you are ready and willing. I am reminded of a story in 1 Samuel 3.

1 Samuel 3: 1-10
“The boy Samuel ministered before the LORD under Eli. In those days the word of the LORD was rare; there were not many visions.

One night Eli, whose eyes were becoming so weak that he could barely see, was lying down in his usual place. The lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the temple of the LORD, where the ark of God was. Then the LORD called Samuel.
Samuel answered, ‘Here I am.’ And he ran to Eli and said, ‘Here I am; you called me.’
But Eli said, ‘I did not call; go back and lie down.’ So he went and lay down.

Again the LORD called, ‘Samuel!’ And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, ‘Here I am; you called me.’
‘My son,’ Eli said, ‘I did not call; go back and lie down.’

Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD : The word of the LORD had not yet been revealed to him.

The LORD called Samuel a third time, and Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, ‘Here I am; you called me.’
Then Eli realized that the LORD was calling the boy. So Eli told Samuel, ‘Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.' So Samuel went and lay down in his place.

The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, ‘Samuel! Samuel!’
Then Samuel said, ‘Speak, for your servant is listening.’

I believe the key to this story is in the final verse. “Speak, for your servant is listening.” Sometimes we are called merely to be available to listen to God. If that’s what He has planned for me in this, then awesome! I am just as excited about what He will teach me through being available and willing to hear Him as I am going to South Africa to have an encounter with Him.

One thing we must all know is that God is sovereign and is on His throne. He has a plan for you, and it’s a good plan. We must be willing to be extraordinary, to achieve great things for Him…for His glory. What is it in your life that God is trying to call attention to? Is it something you need to release? Maybe it’s a calling or perhaps God just wants to know if you are available and willing. Whatever it is, I want to encourage you to (and would also love some encouragement for myself) be willing to listen. Let go of the things that keep you from a deep meaningful relationship with God. Seek out the extraordinary. As I wrap this up I want to ask you to pray for God’s will with regard to my possible trip to South Africa. Also, by all means, if you need me to pray for you, ask. I will gladly approach the Lord on your behalf. Thank you my dear friends. I love you all and my God bless each and every one of you.

Lord I pray you soften our hearts. Help us to release the things that keep us from coming before you. Help us to lay our sins, our fears, our doubts, the things we need to give up, our wills, our lives at the altar. I pray Lord that you would open our minds to Your perfect will and help us to die to our own. Lord may we live to seek your glory even if it means stretching to the point of hurting. Help us to glorify you in our forgiveness and in the exiting of our comfort zones. We lay it all before you Lord. Thank you God for your “good, pleasing and perfect will.” Lord we just pray Romans 12:2 over our lives. In Jesus Christ’s holy name we pray. Amen.

No comments: