Wednesday, December 31, 2008

You Give and Take Away

2008…has been…a rough year. Well, maybe just for me, but I am willing to bet others can say the same. I’ve had this mentality for a while that I just can’t wait to waive goodbye to this rotten year. This morning, however, I got hit in the head by a lightning bolt from God (not literally…but you know). I have been reading through the letters of Paul for my quiet times and instead of starting a new book this morning (as I finished 1 Thessalonians yesterday) I decided to find something in the Red Letters.

Matthew 6:25-34 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

I definitely needed to hear that this morning. 2008 has been a year of great adversity in my life, but you know what? 2008 has also been a year of GREATER triumph for me. I had fallen into a funk in my life…emotionally, physically, and spiritually. I became…well…boring. Through a time of hardship I was blessed with an opportunity to spend some Father(God)/son time in the mountains of Colorado. I emerged from that trip a different man. The Lord began to heal the broken things inside of me. It has taken time, but I have witnessed a miracle in my life. My Abba Father, my Daddy has shifted the paradigm. He brought me to a place of restoration with Him. Emotionally, physically, and most importantly spiritually I have changed. With the changes that He has made in my life, why then should I sit and worry about tomorrow? The Lord provided for me in the mountains, He’s provided for me in the valleys, and I trust He will continue to provide for me in the in-betweens.

It hasn’t been easy and the troubles I have faced haven’t come without their fair share of tears being shed, but God has proven time and again that He will provide. All I have needed to do was to rest in Him. If that isn’t proof enough of what God has been trying to tell me, then I submit to you one other example. This morning on the radio as I was nearing work a song came on. The name of the song is “Blessed Be Your Name” by Tree63. I want you to read part of the lyrics and maybe you can see what I see…

Blessed be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out, I
turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say...
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Oh, There's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out, I
turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say...
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Well Blessed be Your name

Blessed be His name. He gives and takes away, but my heart will choose to say blessed be Your name. So yeah, it HAS been a rough year…not particularly one I will want to relive, but with the right attitude I can press forward. God is calling me; He’s calling all of us to live in Him. If other’s around us do not, cannot, or will not…that’s not up to us…that’s on them and the Lord will deal with them accordingly. For me I don’t want to sit back and whine about how much trouble I have seen.

I want to usher in 2009 on a good note. The Lord has given and He has taken away, but you know what? I know that the end result is far better than what I can see. God sees the finish line; I can barely see three feet in front of me. Praise the Lord for that. 2009 is coming and I am ready for it, but I refuse to look back on 2008 with contempt. It was a hard year, but the Lord did a mighty work in me and for that I will not be bitter about 2008. Praise the Lord for 2008 and the adversity faced. It has shaped me into the man I am today and I am better for it. So for you, I challenge each one of you to look at your hardships and look for God in it. God is there...He's never abandonded you or forsaken you. Let go of the bitterness and let God do a work in you. God bless you all and much love to everyone. Happy 2009!

2 comments:

L.A.W. said...

That's one of my top 3 favorite songs! It's definitely one that I play every time I'm having a rough day. It's hard to stay bitter and angry or hurt when you're praising the Lord with a song like that. It always gives me perspective.

Justin Vecera said...

You are right. And it helps us, at least me, to see that God is right there with you through it all.