Monday, January 19, 2009

President Barack Obama

I don’t like getting political in my blog…in fact I don’t think I ever have, but since we are here today about to make history, I thought it prudent to bring up politics. President Barack Obama. Two years ago did anyone honestly believe we’d be saying that? I know I didn’t. Heck, I didn’t really even know anything about him. Now we flash forward to today and we as a nation are about to make history. And you know what? I for one am thrilled. President Obama brings something different to the office of President of the United States and after the past forty years…that can’t be a bad thing. No, I didn’t vote for President Obama, but I can tell you this, he’s my President and I stand behind him. So Chavez…you and me…we’ve got some beef.

I was talking to a friend back in October about how important this election was for the nation. For the first time ever we had a legitimate chance at seeing a woman be the President and/or the Vice President. In addition to that milestone, we had Barack Obama. I am proud to say that in my lifetime I was able to witness an African American go from small time candidate to legitimate front runner to President. Just the thought of him taking office swells my chest with pride. His story is the American Dream. He overcame adversity that so many people could never imagine and now he is our President. I don’ care what political affiliation, religion, race, color, creed, or gender you are…you have to admit that January 20, 2009 is a special date. I believe seeing him take office instills hope in all Americans that “yes, it is possible to accomplish great things…no matter who you are or where you come from.”

In addition to President Obama overcoming the odds, let’s look at something I consider to be incredibly important…he doesn’t fit into the typical Washington D.C. mold. That’s a great thing! I had my doubts on whether or not he is a uniter, but from the days after the election till today I have seen a man help heal the divisive wounds. He definitely doesn’t fit into the typical D.C. mold. I am already impressed with the way the nation seems to be coming together and he's assembled one heck of a staff. Again, I didn’t vote for him and I am sure I will disagree with his choices at times, but that’s one of the perks of being an American…you don’t have to agree with the President. I can tell you this; however, I will support my President.

I have to say that he has grown on me. It’s because of this that I am challenging myself to be in prayer for him. He will need it. I can’t imagine the pressure and stress of being the President of the United States. I also want to challenge all those who read this blog, be in prayer for our President. In addition to that, be in prayer for our outgoing President. If ever there was a time to pray for this nation now is the time. We have a chance to see peace, unity, and change come to this nation. It is a great time to be alive here in the United States. God bless this nation and God bless each of you.

3 comments:

L.A.W. said...

Here's a link to a great article regarding a Conservative's view of Inauguration Day.

http://slate.com/default.aspx?id=2209067&GT1=38001

Justin Vecera said...

Thats an excellent article. I have been thinking about it and will start to pray about it, but I may want to move into politics. With the GOP in disarray I see it as an opportunity for people like you, me, and others to come in and change the way the GOP looks and acts. It is high time that the old guard moves on and a new group moves in. Obama did it for the Democrats and I think he's also helped do it for the GOP.

Unknown said...

I could't agree with you more. I just finished watching President Obama address the Business Council, [http://www.thebusinesscouncil.org/about/background.aspx if you want details about the organization]. I was left feeling very positive about the changes to come. I believe he is sincere about moving forward with new approaches and new ideas.

I, too did not vote for Obama. I am just to conservative to imagine Nancy Pelosi and her team in charge. But, I also am impressed with him and agree with him on many issues.
I refuse to be fearful and I have hope that we now have a president who is outside the Washington political box. I too will pray for him and former President Bush. We can't imagine what they do experience in the office of President of the United States.